In the great circle of progression you must do two things:
1.) Train Hard
This goes for both Training Your body Athletically and Singing.You train, you train hard. You break personal records. Wreck that 20 rep squat. You throw over a hundred pounds over your head for reps. Do a lot of shit that hurts, bangs you up. But you're a fucking spartan, a warrior.
But once you're done, you've got to recover. My favorite post recovery methods are as follows:
- Sleep - 8-10 hours. Or a cat nap in between training sessions on my two a days.
- Eat - On a big training day, or an especially brutal session you've got to eat in a caloric surplus.
Singing is exactly the same way. When you sing, and you sing big, running around on stage giving your all, you're gonna wear yourself down. I get many bruises and aches from performing. And if you train during the day, its compacted trauma.
- Stay the FUCK home - When you go out for drinks, food or whatever, you're going to probably be in an environment where you're yacking your face off. Making way too much damn noise for your own good, staying up too late, eating
- Fuck Tea and Honey - I've never seen the benefits of putting scalding hot tea down your gullet with 30 or so grams of carbs before. I like Branch Chain Amino Acids to help aid with the protein synthesis from all the training and what not.
- Medicate - Do what you have to do. I mean that quite literally. If you're joints hurt or inflamed, ice them. Take an ibuprofen. If you can't get to sleep, pop a Nyquil. If your voice is tired, your cords are swollen, take a baby aspirin. Hydrate. Get yourself a steamer. I don't care if you look like a stereotype, get the job done. Do what you need to do in order to perform like a champion, whether your practices are actually physically beneficial or just superstition, do what you need to in order to ease your brain.
- Netflix and Chill - And I don't mean the stereotype our society has manifested. I mean take your mind off of your performing, distance yourself from it. Watch a movie, relax. If doing the dirty deed does this for you, then by all means "Netflix and Chill."
That's enough rambling for now. I'm headed into battle tonight. Wish me luck.
Until Next Time,
Lift Big, Sing Big, and Look Great Doing It.
The Opera Bro